Saturday, September 5, 2015

Hands-On Grand Seiko SBGH001J Review

A couple of days ago I'd the chance to test another Seiko, the Grand Seiko SBGH001J.  I asked for to gain access to this watch from Seiko once i already had a little of Grand Seiko knowledge about their SBGV009 watch (read my in-depth review here).

That specific model though, was built with a quarta movement. You must understand the Grand Seiko comes essentially in three flavours: quarta movement, spring-drive and mechanical. Although I've got a large amount of respect for his or her high-precision 9F quarta movement, my real interest rates are in mechanical watches.



And So I asked for this Grand Seiko SBGH001J from Seiko to carry out a review. Since our adding editor Michael Stockton infected me with this particular Seiko virus, my interest is continuing to grow a great deal with this brand. I additionally observed about myself that i'm protecting the company more frequently after i talk to other watch aficionados who still believe it is an entry-level brand or simply not really a serious competitor for that Swiss watch industry. Since I have faith that Seiko - and particularly the Grand Seiko - is an extremely interesting option to a few of the Swiss and German watch brands available, I figured I’d choose a model which i would really could buy and put on myself. Hence: the Grand Seiko SBGH001J.

Why this model? For me personally it pressed all of the right buttons for a daily mechanical watch: legible dial, classy dauphine hands, interesting situation shape, stainless bracelet not to mention, a fascinating (in-house) movement.



The Dial and Hands

To begin with the dial from the Grand Seiko SBGH001J, it's absolutely perfect. Even underneath the macro lens in our digital photographer Bert it demonstrated no strange marks, no micro scratches, no gaps or any other strange roughness to become discovered. Same factor for that applied logo design, applied hour markers and super nicely polished and cut dauphine hands. The dial signifies it's a Grand Seiko using the GS logo design right underneath the center pinion.  I wouldn't mind when Seiko decides to exchange the applied Seiko logo design at 12 o’clock and show it's a Grand Seiko with that particular place. However, Grand Seiko is an accumulation of Seiko and never another entity, so it seems sensible it's proven underneath the ‘Seiko’ wording.

This watch doesn't have luminous dial, that is in no way a motion picture-stopper for me personally, but keep this in mind when you're searching for this watch. Many people insist upon getting a dial that's readable under low light conditions.



The dial also established that we deal here having a high-beat automatic movement. Like Zenith’s El Primero, this Seiko quality 9S85 movement ticks at 36,000 vph. Not just would this improve precision from the movement additionally, it produces a very nice smooth sweep from the second hands.

The Situation

This Grand Seiko SBGH001J came attention because of the form from the situation. I really like the sharp polished edges in conjunction with matt-blown situation band and wide facets on the top. It appears as though a sword and after you have it in your wrist, or perhaps in your hands, you will notice how incredibly now this degree of finishing is. There's just a little cutout for that crown that partially vanishes within the side from the situation when screwed in. The crown is comparatively large (and surely not in an adverse way) and simple to understand and employ. The situation has this awesome sixties design that people also saw in Michael’s overview of his Grand Seiko SBGW047.



Around the backside from the watch you will notice the transparent caseback that enables you to definitely take a look in the beautiful finished movement. All is performed with noticeably the most attention and care to particulars.

On top of that, this 40.2mm watch is extremely comfortable around the wrist too. It doesn’t stand out or feels overweight. It surely comes with wrist presence, possibly best comparable having a Rolex watch Datejust II.

The Cal 9S85 Movement

I already touched the topic briefly, the in-house developed and manufactured hi-beat movement quality 9S85. It isn't just a looker, its an amazing bit of craftsmanship. It features a very distinct design and also the finish is simply awesome. The movement includes a energy reserve of 55 hrs as well as an precision of -3/ 5 seconds each day, easily within Chronometer specifications. As stated, the movement is really a hi-beat one, ticking at 36,000vph or 10hz. Nowhere second hands because of this have this nice smooth sweep across the dial.

Personally, a presentation back wouldn’t happen to be necessary when i rather should you prefer a closed situation back with nice engraving, once the watch doesn't have complication. The rotor also removes a great deal from the view, but I know that regardless of the blocked view, people need to know what Grand Seiko is all about.

The Bracelet

Now comes the tricky part within this review: the Seiko bracelet. Enthusiastic visitors of Fratello Watches understand how personally I think concerning the bracelets made by Seiko and for me Michael Stockton demonstrated it once again in the Seiko Astron Gps navigation review. Bracelets and straps aren't Seiko’s forté within my humble opinion. Although there's practically nothing wrong with the standard from the bracelet, it's the design that kills it for me personally. It is why I removed stainless bracelets from my Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M and Seiko Scuba SBDC001 and changed all of them with rubber straps.

I'm able to only imagine how hard it should be to develop an authentic bracelet design and also to take quality and comfort into consideration too. Why I know that beauty is incorporated in the eye from the beholder, personally I think the rather busy searching bracelet of the Grand Seiko SBGH001J really throws the interest in the aforementioned superbly designed and handle situation.



As our time using the watch was in some way limited also it wasn’t particularly an example model, I did not swap the bracelet for any nice searching black strap. However I am of the perception it will give the timepiece design more credits. Really, basically would buy this Grand Seiko SBGH001J watch, I'd get it done the moment after I’d required it of their blue box.

I additionally considered the way the perfect bracelet with this watch would need to search for me, but I'm not an artist, I'm able to only tell things I don’t like about that one and that I keep returning towards the polished parts. I additionally realize that when you take them off, the bracelet could be pretty much a duplicate of the Oyster bracelet. However, now it appears much like the present Omega Speedmaster Professional ‘Moonwatch’ bracelet and I’m also not keen on that certain. Regardless, the bracelet ought to be perfectly finished - like it's now - but additionally make certain the shape and sharp edges from the situation would be the center from the attention.

Would I purchase the Grand Seiko SBGH001J?

The amount of finish and craftsmanship is nearly uncommon and may easily contend with the large Swiss names available that - sometimes - possess a cost that that's two times the Grand Seiko cost.

The only real factor that bothers me a little may be the bracelet. Although there's no problem using the comfort, finish or the standard from the bracelet generally, it comes down lower towards the perception of me. A wrist watch such as this warrants a far more ‘quiet’ design or simply a leather strap, because the situation from the watch is really superbly formed and handle.

Basically could be looking for a daily watch this Grand Seiko SBGH001J would certainly perform my candidate. Their email list cost of €5900 Euro is really a serious amount of cash (for just about any watch) and will allow you to select from many watches. However, with this particular Grand Seiko SBGH001J you'll be certain to spend money not everybody else has, possess a watch by having an impeccable finish and remain low profile with it too. He also aware to the fact that you may encounter many people that don't be aware of distinction between a Seiko 5 along with a Grand Seiko. Guess what happens to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment